Dr. Sweeney is an Associate Professor in the Department of Curriculum & Instruction.
She teaches early childhood and elementary education courses including classroom management,
assessment, science, and creative arts. Dr. Sweeney earned a Ph.D. in Curriculum &
Instruction with an emphasis in science education from the University of Arkansas.
She also has master's degrees in both biology (plant ecology) and early childhood
education. She always had a hard time choosing between careers in science and education,
so she chose both, teaching other undergraduate courses in general biology, botany,
chemistry, assessment, science methods, and early childhood education, and graduate
courses in research methods and assessment. She worked as a field biologist the past
several summers, conducting plant surveys and monitoring American Burying Beetle populations.
Dr. Sweeney's research interests include science with young children and assessment.
Nature of science, pedagogy in the early childhood classroom, assessment
Science education, early childhood education, assessment, evaluation, research methods
- Ph D,Curriculum and Instruction,University of Arkansas,,2010
- M.Ed.,Early Childhood Education,Northeastern State University,,2005
- MA,Biology,University of Arkansas,,1996
- BS,Biology,Northeastern State University,,1994
- Effective Teaching (Book, Chapter in Scholarly Book-New), Teaching & Learning, Published, , 2020
- Early Elementary (K-4) Teachers' Perceptions of the Developmental Appropriateness,
Importance, and Classroom Inclusions of Nature of Science Aspects (Journal Article, Academic Journal), Discovery, Submitted, ,
- The Birds, the Children, and the Big Black Dog: Reflecting on Emergent Curriculum (Journal Article, Professional Journal), Application, Published, March, 2018
- Self-Study Report: Lessons Learned Panel - Sustaining and Advancing the Profession - Norman, OK - October 2018
- MGMT ELEM CLASSROOM & CURR - ELED 4563 - Fall 2020
- ASSESS PROG MONIT ELEM/MID - ELED 4583 - Fall 2020
- CREAT EXPR FOR EARLY CHILDHOOD - ECED 4113 - Fall 2020
- DIFFERENTIATED INSTRUCT STRAT - EDUC 5463 - Fall 2020
- ADVANCED EDU MEASUREMENTS - EDUC 5483 - Summer 2016