Dr Richard Castillo
- Assistant Dean/Clinical Prof
Clinical Staff Cherokee Nation
BioDr. Castillo is a graduate of the NSU College of Optometry (OD) as well as the OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine & Surgery (DO), where he completed a Residency in Ophthalmology. He has been NSUs principle surgeon, and a clinical professor since 1999. He also serves as Assistant Dean overseeing the surgical training program, as well as optometrists and students in the University s Ophthalmic Surgery Service. He is a founding faculty (1999) of NSU-OCO's renowned Advanced Procedures course lecturing extensively, both nationally and internationally. Dr. Castillo has authored several textbook chapters, is co-chair of the AOA's Contemporary Practice Task Force, current President of the American Society of Optometric Surgeons, past-chair of the National Commission for Vision and Health, and chaired past committees for the National Board of Examiners in Optometry. He is a member of the Oklahoma Medical Reserve Service Corps. Dr. Castillo is a recipient of the 2021 ArOA's Special Service Award, the OAOP's 2017 Distinguished Service Award, and a Special Citation (2014) from the Oklahoma House of Representives for outstanding contributions to the advancement of surgical care in Oklahoma.
- OtherDoctor of Osteopathic Medicine,,Oklahoma State University College of Osteophathic Medicine,,1993
- O.D.,Optometry,Northeastern State University College of Optometry,,1987
- BS,,The University of Tulsa,,1982
Methods of teaching office surgery and ophthalmic laser procedures to optometrists.
Office-based surgical procedures.
Training paradigms for teaching ophthalmic lasers and office surgery to optometrists.
Educational models for teaching office-based anesthesia techniques to optometric faculty, residents and students.
- Clinical Workshop: Intro to Therapeutic Lasers - NSUOCO Advanced Procedures - Denver Colorado - June 2018
- Suture Techniques - NSUOCO Advanced Procedures - Tahlequah OK - July 2019
- Medicolegal Aspects of Anterior Segment Laser Procedures - NSUOCO Advanced Procedures - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - June 2018
- Clinical Workshop: Intro to Therapeutic Lasers - NSUOCO Advanced Procedures - Casper, Wyomong - October 2018
- PHYSICAL DIAGNOSIS LABORATORY - OPT 6031 - Summer 2020
- OFFICE-BASED SURGERY - OPT 7042 - Summer 2020
- PHYSICAL DIAGNOSIS LABORATORY - OPT 6031 - Summer 2019
- OFFICE-BASED SURGERY - OPT 7042 - Summer 2019