NSU Continuing Education to host summer camps for kids
Through its Continuing Education office, Northeastern State University will offer an array of summer camps on its Tahlequah campus for local children.
The NSU Continuing Education Summer Camps for Kids are an opportunity to have fun while learning skills. Options are available for children ages 2 and older and camps run during June and July.
“Our children’s programs are growing, and we are excited that Continuing Education is able to bring so many kids to campus,” said Deborah Amlin, coordinator of Continuing Education and Academic Outreach. “We are offering some new camps this summer and bringing back some favorites. We hope the campers’ experiences instill a sense of RiverHawks pride and that they come back for other activities year-round.”
Camps include swimming, photography, presentations by emergency responders, dancing, “triple-threat” talent camps and ACT preparation tests.
Enrollment fees vary and camps run 2-8 days. Registration is open and continues until the camps begin or reach full enrollment.
Camps offered include:
- Swimming Lessons are offered June 11-21 and July 9-19 and include eight sessions. Toddler classes for ages 2-4 are at 9 a.m. and a parent must be in the water with the child. Beginning classes ages 5-up are at 9:30 a.m. and intermediate lessons are at 10 a.m. Fee is $50 per camper. Parental or adult supervision is encouraged for all classes.
- Shutterbug Photo Camps are June 5-6 and 12-13. The camps help students ages 9-15 learn the operation of a camera and techniques to take beautiful pictures. Sessions are 8:30 a.m. – noon and fee is $30 per camper.
- Hip-Hop Anonymous Camps are also June 5-6 and 12-13 and run from 1:00-4:30 p.m. Campers ages 6 and older can learn hip-hop dance moves and create a routine. Enrollment is $30 per camper.
- From June 4-7, Camp 911! will invite the traveling education programs from local emergency response services to give presentations to students ages 6-15. Sessions are 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Cherokee County 911, the NSU Campus Community Emergency Response Team, the NSU Police, the Oklahoma Scenic River Commission River Rangers and firefighters of the Tahlequah Fire Department will visit. Enrollment fee is to be determined.
- NSU Little RiverHawk Revue Camps are June 11-14 and 18-21 and meet 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. The “triple threat” camps provide instruction in singing, dancing and acting for children 6 and older. Enrollment fee is to be determined.
- ACT Prep Camp is June 5-7. Students can take practice exams in strategies on Tuesday, English and reading on Wednesday and math and science on Thursday. The two-hour sessions begin at 6 p.m. each night and enrollment is $30 per night. Students can attend all three nights for $75.
“We are always organizing new classes and activities,” said Andrea Sprague, administrative assistant for Continuing Education. “We encourage people to check our Web site often for new offerings.”
Continuing Education can be visited online. The office is on the southeast corner of Muskogee Avenue and Goingsnake Street.
Meeting venues for some classes are to be determined. For more information or to enroll call 918-444-4610.
Published: 6/5/2012 7:07:50 AM