NSU Inks 30 to Football NLI
TAHLEQUAH, Okla. --- Northeastern State has signed 30 freshman to National Letters of Intent on the first official day, according to head coach Kenny Evans.
The RiverHawks, who will become official members of the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association (MIAA) this fall, could ink additional commitments later in the week.
Among the 2012 recruiting class are 22 incoming freshmen from Oklahoma, six from Texas and two from Arkansas. Several signees had prep experience on both sides of the ball. Offensively, NSU signed nine wide receivers, seven offensive linemen, five running backs, three tight ends and three quarterbacks. On defense, it inked nine defensive backs, six defensive linemen and five linebackers.
Additionally, Northeastern State has seven mid-term transfers who are already on campus this spring. This class includes two offensive linemen, a wide receiver and four defensive linemen.
"This is a tremendously talented recruiting class and the level of each of our signees has increased exponentially in the past couple of years," said Evans. "We were able to be selective on who we recruited because of the number of student-athletes who expressed interest in coming to Northeastern State. Word has definitely gotten around that our football program is back on the right track and this great institution really sells itself.
"Our faculty and staff that assisted us in the recruiting process helped tell the story of our wonderful community and why NSU is such a special place. All of our coaches did an outstanding job of locating who we believe are the best fit for the future of RiverHawks football. They did a tireless job of identifying student-athletes with talent, character and commitment."
- Hudson Baab (6-2, 265, OL/DL, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Lincoln Christian HS)
- Ethan Burris (6-1, 230, TE/H, Dilday, Texas, HS)
- Connor Appelberg (6-3, 230, RB/DE, Skiatook, Oklahoma, HS)
- Jeremy Applegate (6-1, 205, FB/LB, Wagoner, Oklahoma, HS)
- Josh Cousins (6-1, 185, QB, Argyle, Texas, Liberty Christian HS)
- Devin Crisp (6-3, 315, OL/NG, Midwest City, Oklahoma, HS)
- Lane Dortch (6-0, 185, FB/LB, Fort Gibson, Oklahoma, HS)
- Tyler Easter (6-3, 275, OL/DT, Ketchum, Oklahoma, HS)
- Zach Eggleston (6-0, 177, WR/DB, Beggs, Oklahoma, HS)
- Brennen Evans (5-8, 155, WR, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Lincoln Christian HS)
- T.J. Finch (5-10, 165, WR/CB, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Central HS)
- Josh Fleak (5-10, 195, SS, Sapulpa, Oklahoma, HS)
- Aaron Fowler (5-9, 165, WR/CB, Muskogee, Oklahoma, HS
- Chris Gonzalez (6-3, 330, OL, San Antonio, Texas, Holmes HS)
- Mark Grant (5-10, 170, DB, South Grand Prairie, Texas, HS)
- Steffon Herd (6-4, 195, WR/DE, Del City, Oklahoma, HS)
- Dexter Holcombe (6-2, 180, WR/FS, Hackett, Arkansas, HS)
- Trevon Lawson (6-0, 320, OL, Ardmore, Oklahoma, HS)
- Kyle Matheson (6-2, 205, TE, Lewisville, Texas, Marcus HS)
- Dakota Moran (6-1, 275, OL/DL, Midwest City, Oklahoma, HS)
- Ashdon Perry (5-11, 185, LB/RB, Ardmore, Oklahoma, HS)
- Nakia (Tank) Richmond (6-2, 166, WR/FS, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Carl Albert HS)
- Josiah Reed (5-10, 170, WR/DB, Ardmore, Oklahoma, HS)
- Marco Renteria (6-2, 205, TE, San Antonio, Texas, Holmes HS)
- Jake Roach (6-1, 190, QB/LB, Vinita, Oklahoma, HS)
- Max Simmons (6-2, 222, OL/LB, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Lincoln Christian HS)
- Zack Simmons (5-9, 186, RB/LB, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Lincoln Christian HS)
- Braden Smith (6-2, 195, QB/LB, Commerce, Oklahoma, HS)
- Darrain Winston (6-0, 177, WR/CB, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Carl Albert HS)
- Dylan Yazel (5-10, 175, RB/CB, Hackett, Arkansas, HS)
- Jonathon Brown (6-2, 288, OL, Hutchinson JC)
- Kenley Choute (6-2, 310, DT, Ft. Scott JC)
- Donnie Fuston (5-10, 205, OLB, Enid, OK - NEO
- Kenny Garrett (6-5, 275, DL, Oklahoma City, OK - Crooked Oak HS - NEO)
- Rowdy McCauley (6-3, 260, DE, Marlow, OK - NEO/SE Missouri State)
- Danny Williams (6-4, 255, DE, Westmoore, OK - NEO)
- Kruz Williams (6-3, 200, WR, Louisiana Tech)
Published: 2/13/2012 10:22:18 AM