NSU's Heritage

With three scenic campuses and more than 100 years of educational opportunity for students, Northeastern State University is Oklahoma’s fourth largest public four-year institution of higher learning.

NSU was founded in 1846 as the Cherokee National Female Seminary, opening its doors in 1851 as the first institution of higher learning in Indian Territory. On March 6, 1909, the Oklahoma legislature purchased the Seminary from the Cherokee Nation and on September 14, classes began at the newly formed Northeastern State Normal School in Tahlequah.

Through the decades, NSU has played a key role in the area’s history and development. Today, NSU offers a comprehensive education with academic emphases in business, technology, social sciences, mathematics, health professions, sciences, optometry, education, language and the arts. Northeastern also touts the second lowest tuition among Oklahoma public universities.

As in the past century, Northeastern continues to be a place for people to gather and grow through the power of learning. Stay tuned as the institution writes the next chapters in its story of academic excellence, service and collaboration.

Learn more about NSU's Heritage.