Questions? We've Got Answers



How many hours do I need to take before I can declare a major?
A major can be declared at any point. 

How many hours do I need to take each semester to be considered a full-time student?
Undergraduate students must be enrolled in 12 hours per regular semester (fall and/or spring) to be considered full time. Students should take 15-16 hours each semester to maintain a four-year graduation schedule. Students may catch up hours or work ahead during summer semesters. For a graduate student, taking only 9 hours is considered full time. 

What are the criteria to apply for the President's Leadership Class scholarship?
The President's Leadership Class is a unique scholarship program designed to cultivate outstanding potential in proven student leaders. Applicants for the PLC should display outstanding leadership capabilities and must have an exceptionally strong academic record. PLC members are awarded $6,150 per academic year for four years. While in college, students in PLC are expected to complete a minimum of 30 semester credits per academic year while maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25. The application deadline is Feb. 1. If you have specific questions about the PLC, please contact the Office of Admission and Recruitment at 918-444-2200. 

What separates your Education/Teaching Program from the others offered in-state?
While all teacher education programs in the state of Oklahoma have to meet state and national accreditation guidelines, each is organized a bit differently. First, NSU prepares more teachers than any other institution in the state and has been doing it longer than any of them. Secondly, we intentionally move candidates through the program with increasing levels of guided practice to help them move from being a student to being a teacher. Our expectations are high but so is our level of support to be successful. Third, NSU's program has more field experience than any other in the state. This provides opportunity to work in different kinds of schools with several different teachers. We work very hard to assure that our candidates have the knowledge, skills and dispositions to work with the children and families they are going to serve. 

What classes do you offer in nursing?
All nursing classes are offered online. A list of course requirements is available on the Nursing Program webpage. Our Nursing Program is designed for registered nurses seeking their bachelor's degree in Nursing, so to be admitted you must first be an R.N. For more information on our Nursing Program, please contact 918-781-5410. 

Can I buy my course text books online or do I have to go to the university bookstore in Tahlequah?
After enrolling, log in to goNSU with your NSU username and password, click on the "Students" tab and choose "Get Your Textbooks" in the registration tools portal. Choose the semester and it will provide a list of books needed. 

How do I decide on a major?
Our best advice is to take intro classes for majors that you are interested in. You can also speak with our University Advising Center about majors and they will advise you about degree requirements and the types of jobs available in your field of interest. To speak with someone in our UAC Office call 918-444-3253. 

What is the student to teacher ratio at NSU?
For every 18 students at NSU, we have one professor. 

Do you have night classes?
NSU offers classes at a variety of times, including evenings and weekends. 

Do you have accelerated classes?
We offer short-term classes, summer classes and intersession classes. 

How large are the classes after a person completes their general education classes?
While general education classes may have 24 to 40 students, typically the class size for a junior or senior level class is between 10-25 students. Some of your classes may have more or less depending on your major. 

Does NSU offer free tutoring if a student needs additional help in a subject?
Almost every field of study has free tutoring. You can learn about our free tutoring services by calling 918-444-3651. When you arrive on campus, you'll find most of our colleges have flyers with contact information for our tutors. Or visit the Student Academic Success Center's Tutoring Services webpage.

Back to Top



What are NSU's admission requirements?
To be admitted to NSU you must have:

  • Maintained a four-year high school grade-point average of 2.70 or higher on a 4.00 grading scale and ranked scholastically among the upper 50% of your graduating class, or, 
  • A 2.7 GPA in the 15 high school courses required for college entry, or 
  • Attained a composite score of 20 or higher on the ACT or a similar acceptable battery of tests. For transfer, adult and graduate requirements please visit the NSU catalog

How and when do I apply for admission to NSU?
You may apply for admission using the online application. The application must be submitted with supporting documents at least one month prior to the beginning of the semester for which you are applying. You are encouraged to apply early. 

How and when do I apply for scholarships?
You can apply for a scholarship using the online scholarship application. Scholarship deadlines are listed on the applications; however, many are as early as February. The earlier you apply the better chance you have of receiving a scholarship. For more information, visit the NSU scholarship website.

How and when do I apply for housing?
As soon as you have decided to attend NSU, you can download an application for housing on the housing website. The application must be submitted to the housing office with a $50 deposit. Early application is suggested. For more information, please contact University Housing.

How much does it cost to attend NSU?
A breakdown of cost can be found on the Admission's website on the Tuition & Fees webpage.

Where can I get a copy of my semester class schedule?
Log in to goNSU (requires a NSU username and password) and select the Student page at the top.  Next select “Concise Student Schedule” in the Registration Tools portal.

Can you send me a catalog and/or a semester schedule book?
Visit our online catalog and online semester schedules.

How do I contact an NSU recruiter?
You can contact a recruiter by calling the High School and College Relations Office at 800-722-9614, ext. 4675, or visit the High School and College Relations website.

What degrees does NSU offer?
For a list of majors offered see the Degrees and Majors page.

How do I add/drop a class?
You can add a class or drop a class using the self service menu via goNSU.

How do I withdraw from NSU?
Students may withdraw from the university using their self service menu via goNSU.

When can I visit NSU?
The Ambassadors in the Office of Admissions and Recruitment provide tours daily at 2 p.m., and 11 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This is a great way to see the campus and ask any unanswered questions you may have. Please call to schedule a tour at 918-444-2200. Once you have decided to attend NSU, the counselors in the University Advising Center will help you arrange your course schedule and enroll in classes. 

Would I have a better chance of getting into NSU's Optometry school if I attended NSU for my undergraduate studies?
While there is no preference given to optometry applicants with NSU degrees, it certainly doesn't hurt. Attending NSU for your undergraduate studies will allow you to become familiar with the Tahlequah campus and, more importantly, the Optometry admissions staff and the Optometry faculty. 

Does a Texas student pay out-of-state tuition?
Out-of-state tuition is waived for eligible new freshmen and transfer students from Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, and Texas who are admitted as regular students (not on probation nor have any academic deficiencies), do not have a bachelor's degree, and are not applying for the Optometry program. 

As an adult wanting to go to college, do I have to take the ACT before I enroll?
You won't be required to take the ACT. You might be asked to take some tests for placement purposes but they're not for admission purposes. The first thing you need to do is apply online

Can I enroll online?
Yes, login to goNSU and go to the Student page. 

Do you charge an application fee?
We do have a $25 non-refundable application fee. You can apply online.  

Where can I find information about graduate school and the application process?
You can receive information about our graduate programs by contacting Margie Railey at 918-444-2093 or visiting our Graduate College website.

Back to Top

Broken Arrow


Is it possible to complete a degree entirely at the Broken Arrow campus without taking some classes at the Tahlequah campus? 
In adherence with state policy, NSUBA does not accept freshman, although, it is possible to start and finish your degree at the Broken Arrow campus. You will not actually be attending NSU the entire time, but will enroll in TCC classes on the Broken Arrow campus. These transfer over when you are finished with TCC classes and are eligible for NSUBA. 

Do you have to be a junior or a senior to attend the Broken Arrow campus?
NSU offers upper division classes in majors offered at Broken Arrow and all students who have met necessary prerequisites are eligible for these junior/senior courses. 

Back to Top

Financial Aid


How do I apply for financial aid?
You can apply by completing the free application at Before completing the application you will want to go to to apply for a PIN number, this will serve as an electronic signature. This PIN number should be emailed to you within 72 hours and then you can proceed to to complete the free application.

What type of information does the FAFSA require?
The FAFSA will require general as well as tax and asset information. If you are a dependent student you must provide your parents information as well.

What types of aid are awarded from the FAFSA?
When we receive a student aid report from FAFSA, that report tells us what types of aid the student is eligible for based on the information the student provided on the FAFSA. We award the Pell Grant, Seog Grant, Otag Grant, Federal Stafford Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized), Perkins Loans, and Parent Plus Loans based on each student's eligibility.

Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?
Every student must apply for federal aid every year. The FAFSA is available to fill out every year on January 1. This FAFSA is good for the following semesters.

Do I have to meet certain requirements to be eligible for financial aid?
Initially every student is eligible for some type of aid whether in the form of grants or loans. However to remain eligible a student must meet certain criteria which are outlined in our Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy (SAP). A student must pass/complete the number of hours designated to receive financial aid funds. For example if an undergraduate student is funded at half-time status for the academic year, then that student must successfully complete 12 hours during that academic year (graduate students 10 hours). Undergraduate full-time funded students must successfully complete 24 hours in an academic year (graduate students 18 hours), and undergraduate three-quarter time funded students must successfully complete 18 hours. A student must meet a GPA requirement. Freshman with 0-30 credit hours must maintain a 1.7 cumulative GPA. Students with 30 + credit hours must maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA. Federal Student Aid will cease when an undergraduate student reaches 186 attempted hours towards their first bachelor's degree, and when graduate students reach 48 attempted hours towards their first master's degree.

As a graduate student how many hours do I need to be enrolled in to be eligible for financial aid?
A graduate student must be enrolled in at least five graduate level (5000) hours during any semester of attendance to be eligible for financial aid.

What can my financial aid be used for?
Financial aid is primarily meant to pay educational costs such as tuition and fees, books, housing, etc. It can also be used to help with transportation costs and basic necessities while attending school. Financial aid is not meant to be a main source of income. It is meant to be a supplement to aid in your costs while attending school.

How does my financial aid pay for my charges?
After your financial aid has been determined and processed, the university will apply the funds to your account. If your bill is not paid in full by your financial aid, you will receive a bill for the balance. If your financial aid is enough to cover all costs and you have remaining aid left over, the university will write a check to you for that remainder.

How do I apply for a student loan?
The first step is to complete a FAFSA. Our financial aid office will then determine your eligibility and award you a student loan accordingly. Once awarded, you must then complete your entrance counseling and master promissory note before the loan will be disbursed to the school.

How much money can I borrow?
A student's loan eligibility is determined by several factors. These factors consist of grade classification (freshman, sophomore, etc.) as well as whether the student is dependent or independent. Another factor is based on the amount of additional aid a student is receiving. We are allowed to award a student a certain amount of aid per year based on their Cost of Attendance (COA). All outside aid is factored into this COA; therefore, it may affect the loan amount a student is eligible to borrow.

What is loan consolidation?
Loan consolidation happens when individual student loans are combined into one loan. This is helpful if a student has had loans at several different banks throughout their education. After graduation, rather than make payments to several banks, a student can opt to consolidate their loans and make payments to only one bank. For further detailed information, we recommend that students contact their lender.

What are the repayment terms of student loans?
Federal Stafford loans do not go into repayment status until six months after graduation. Stafford loans will also go into repayment if a student drops below half-time or has to sit out of school for any period longer than six months.

Back to Top

First-Time Freshmen


Do freshman that attend NSU have to live on campus?
NSU requires freshman students to live in campus housing if they are not within the desired commuting distance (50 miles). Students may live in the residence halls or NSU's Seminary Suites residence hall which is open to freshman students as well as upper classmen. 

Can freshmen stay in Seminary Suites?
The Seminary Suites are available to all students who wish to live on campus. 

What is Rookie Bridge Camp?
Rookie Bridge Camp (RBC) is a fun-filled, two-day camp designed to help students transition to college. It is planned and produced for students by students and is an excellent opportunity for first-year students to meet other students and gain knowledge about what to expect during their first semester of college.

Back to Top

General Information


How can I get information about NSU?
You can request information by emailing We strongly advise that you do not include your social security number in emails because it is a security risk.

Can I take a tour of the campus?
Tours are given Monday through Friday at 11 a.m. during the summer. In the fall and spring semesters, tours are given Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 2 p.m. and on Tuesday and Thursday at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Schedule a tour online or call 800-722-9614 ext. 4675.

I want to play sports. How do I get in contact with a coach from NSU?
The best way to contact a NSU coach is to have your high school coach contact our coaching staff. You may also schedule an appointment with an NSU coach yourself by calling 800-722-9614, ext. 3900.

Questions about your NSU Account?
Contact the Office of Business Affairs.

Can I make a payment to my NSU Account online?
You can make payments to your NSU Account online by logging in to goNSU.

I need to verify/change my mailing address with NSU. Can I do this online?
Log in to goNSU (requires a NSU username and password) and select either the Student or Employee page and look for the “Personal Information” portal.

When do I get my student email address?
You will receive your student user ID at the Freshman Connections orientation. This user ID acts not only as your email address, but your login name to all of the campus computers and many of NSU's online programs such as Blackboard and other web services. 

Will all of my classes be within walking distance or should I think about purchasing a bicycle?
All of your classes will definitely be within walking distance. You can get anywhere on NSU's campuses on foot within 10 minutes. 

I didn't qualify for work-study. Can I still find a job on campus?
We have jobs that don't require you to have financial need. They are called institutional jobs and you can secure one the same as you would any other job. Check out NSU's Human Resources job listing to learn which offices are hiring and apply. There is a job board in the financial aid office and can be found on the Student Financial Services website.

Does NSU Have a fitness center on campus?
The Fitness Center is free to all students that live in campus housing. Along with workout equipment, it has an indoor swimming pool, basketball/indoor volley ball courts, sand volley balls courts and a racquetball area. If you are a student but do not live in campus housing, access costs less than $50 per semester. 

Is there WiFi in all of the dorm rooms?
Many of the residence halls do pick up wireless Internet, however, it is not accessible in all rooms. All rooms do have Internet connections. If your room does not pick up wireless Internet, you may gain access to the internet with an ethernet cable. 

What is done by the campus police to ensure a safe campus after dark?
After dark, we have foot patrol on campus, Kawasaki Mule patrol, along with our normal vehicle patrol. We schedule two officers per shift and, adding the reserve staff, could have up to six officers on duty at one time. The officers monitor the lighting on campus as well. When lights are out we report them and have them repaired as soon as possible. We also have emergency (blue light) phones on campus. If you need more information, please call university police at 918-444-2468. 

How is the food at NSU?
NSU's campus includes a variety of food options. In addition to our all-you-can-eat Market Cafe, the University Center food court includes a Chick-Fil-A, World of Wings, Freshens (smoothies and ice cream), and other healthy options. Flo's Coffee House is located on the third floor of the University Center. Housing venues include a Pizza Hut Express in Leoser Hall and the Clubhouse Grill in Seminary Suites. 

How much is room and board at NSU?
For current rates on housing and meal plans contact our Housing office at 918-444-4700. 

I would like to get involved. Will I be able to find an organization that I will like?
With over 80 student organizations on NSU's campus, you should have no problem finding one you will enjoy. Those organizations include anything from national fraternities and sororities, book clubs, political organizations, and almost every major has its own organization. There is definitely something for everyone at NSU. During the first week of classes in the fall you will be given the opportunity to learn about the different organizations that we have. During this time you can decide what would fit you best and get information on when they meet and what is expected of you as a member. If you would like to review the different organizations that we currently have at NSU visit the Student Affairs website 

What do I do if my roommate and I are incompatible?
If at any point throughout the year you don't feel comfortable with your living situation, you can file a Room Change Request through the Housing Office. They will place you in a different room, with a new roommate at no charge to you. For additional questions about the Residence halls, contact the Housing Office at 918-444-4700. 

Back to Top

Grades and Transcripts


Where can I view/print my semester grades online?
You can view your grades online at goNSU (requires a NSU username and password). Select the Student page at the top and then look for the “Student Grades” portal. You must select a term. Grades will not be available until completion of the semester.

Where can I view/print a copy of my unofficial transcript?
You can view/print a copy of your unofficial transcript online at goNSU (requires NSU username and password). If you do not have an NSU username and password, you will need to request a transcript in writing to the Office of Admission and Records by U.S. mail or fax.

Where can I request a copy of my official transcript?
Current students may request official transcripts through the self-service menu via goNSU. All other official transcript requests must be in writing (with the student's signature). Email requests are not accepted at this time. Please visit the Office of Admission and Records for more information on how to request a copy of your transcript.

Back to Top

Graduate Students


Where can I find information about graduate school and the application process?
You can receive information about our graduate programs by contacting Margie Railey at 918-444-2093 or visiting  the Graduate College website.

Back to Top

Life at NSU


Is NSU the right college for me?
NSU has a rich and proud history of serving students and the people of Oklahoma. Students choose NSU for a variety of reasons. For some it's close to home, while for others it's a chance to get away from home. Some choose NSU because we can help them achieve their career goals. Others choose NSU because of its beautiful campus, friendly atmosphere, or highly-regarded faculty. Finally, many choose NSU because of the value it offers. You can obtain a quality education, and all the other benefits listed here, without paying as much as at many other schools. We recommend you visit campus and see for yourself. Tours of the Tahlequah campus are given Monday through Friday at 11 a.m. during the summer. In the fall and spring semesters, tours are given Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 2pm and on Tuesday and Thursday at 11am and 2pm. Schedule a tour by email or call us at 1-800-722-9614, extension 4675. 

Back to Top



What is there to do in Tahlequah?
There are many fun and exciting things to do around the Tahlequah campus to keep you entertained. The Northeastern Activities Board and Northeastern Student Government Association host a large number of events throughout the year ranging from comedians, movie nights, and game shows to Homecoming Week activities. You could also go down to the Jazz Lab and attend a concert or two. Aside from the numerous activities hosted on the campus, there are many things to do in the city of Tahlequah. Many people enjoying floating the Illinois River or just laying out on the riverbank. You can watch a movie at the Green Country Cinema. Throughout the summer you can catch a Downtown Country Show at the NSU Playhouse or watch the Rivercity Players at the Shawnee Street Theater. We're only 15 minutes from Lake Tenkiller and just an hour from Tulsa and Fayetteville, Ark. If you're living here in Tahlequah, there's always something to do.

Back to Top

Transfer Students


Does an associate's degree satisfy basic requirements at NSU?
If a student has attained an Associate of Arts degree or Associate of Science degree from a public institution in Oklahoma, we will waive any general education requirements at NSU that they may be lacking. The exception to this is if the student lacks a gen ed requirement that is also a requirement for their particular major.

How do advance placement credits transfer?
NSU awards credit to entering freshmen who attained satisfactory scores in the Advanced Placement program administrated by the College Entrance Examination Board. This program allows students in high school to take examinations for credit at the college level. We accept scores of 3, 4 or 5. An Advanced Placement transcript must be received before the credit is awarded. Utilize the recipient code number 6485 when requesting an Advanced Placement transcript be sent to NSU. More information about NSU's policies and course equivalencies can be found on the NSU website.

What is the minimum number of hours needed for a transfer student to graduate with a bachelor's degree from NSU?
Provided you have all other requirements met, you, only need 30 NSU hours to receive your bachelor's degree from Northeastern State. 

Back to Top



Why is there not a student directory?
The Office of Communications and Marketing does not post a student directory because of privacy issues. You can call the Student Affairs office (918-444-2120) if you are trying to contact a student.

Who do I contact for problems with goNSU, Web Services, Blackboard, NSU E-mail, Password Manager, Spam Filter or the Virtual Private Network?
Please direct all problems with these services to the NSU Service Desk at or 918-444-5678. We strongly advise that you do not include your social security number in emails because it is a security risk.

How do I get an event listed on the web calendar?
Contact the Office of Communications and Marketing by calling 918-444-2880. Please include your name, position at NSU, and contact information. Events must be open to the public. Some events are not eligible. 

I think I'm viewing an old webpage. Is there a way to ensure I am viewing the most up-to-date page?
Your browser may have cached the page the last time you viewed it. Try clicking the reload or refresh button. You may also want to set your browser's preferences to check for new pages on the server each time you visit the page. 

Where can I get/change/resolve my NSU username and password?
Visit NSU's Password Manager for more information or contact the NSU Service Desk at or 918-444-5678. We strongly advise that you do not include your social security number in emails because it is a security risk.

Back to Top