3.01 Northeastern State University will not accept donations, gifts, money, or materials intended to promote the use of tobacco nor participate in any type of services that promote the use of tobacco.
3.02 Appropriate signage will be posted by the NSU Physical Plant as necessary to inform employees, students and visitors of policy provisions.
- “Breathe Easy” signs will be placed on all campus buildings.
- “Tobacco Free Campus” will be clearly posted at all main campus entrances.
3.03 It is prohibited to sell tobacco products or advertise the sale of tobacco products on University property.
3.04 Littering the campus with the remains of tobacco products or other disposable products is prohibited.
3.05 Organizers and attendees at events (meetings, conferences, lectures, cultural events and sporting events) using NSU facilities are required to abide by the policy. Organizers of such events are responsible for communicating the policy to attendees and for enforcing this policy.
3.06 Courtesy and consideration will be exercised when informing others unaware of and/or in disregard of this policy. No retaliation will occur to any person for doing so.
3.07 Compliance with this policy by all students, faculty and staff is expected based on NSU’s commitment to a healthy culture, free of tobacco, and should be a cooperative effort, encouraged by all students, faculty and staff.
3.07.1 A complaint against an offender, who fails to respond to a request by another, as noted in Section 3.06, may be referred to a dean, director, or other manager. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken for an offender against whom multiple complaints have been received.
- Students – NSU students shall be directed to and handled by the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. Violations occurring within University Housing shall be directed to and handled by the Housing Office. University Housing may refer complaints to the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities.
- Faculty – NSU faculty shall be directed to and handled by the department chair and/or college dean, as deemed appropriate by Academic Affairs and Human Resources policies.
- Staff – NSU staff shall be directed to and handled by immediate supervisor or director, as deemed appropriate by Human Resources policies.
- Visitors – Visitors shall be directed to and handled by the University Police department. The visitor may be asked to leave university premises for failure to comply.
- Fines – University Police may issue a misdemeanor citation to violators. Upon conviction, the fine range is $10 to $100. (Oklahoma Statute Title 21, Chapter 50, Section 1247)
3.08 Northeastern State University reserves the right to update policies and procedures or any portion thereof at any time without prior notice.