A unique identification number shall be assigned to students and employees. The University ID shall be assigned at the earliest possible point of contact between the individual and the University. The ID shall be used as the campus ID card identifier and shall be used in all future electronic systems and on paper documents to identify, track, and to provide service to individuals associated with the University. It shall be permanently associated with the individual to whom it is originally assigned.
Personal information shall not be publicly posted or displayed in a manner where either the University ID or the Social Security Number identifies the individual associated with the information.
Except in those cases where the University is required to collect a Social Security number, individuals shall not be required to provide their Social Security number verbally or in writing, at any point of service, nor shall they be denied access to those services should they refuse to provide a Social Security Number. Individuals may volunteer their Social Security Number as means of locating a record, document, etc. Alternatively, if electing not to provide a Social Security Number, an individual may be required to provide other identifying information necessary as a means of locating a record, document, etc.
The University shall release Social Security Numbers to entities outside the University (contractors, vendors, service providers, collection agencies, etc.) when required for certain legal and business activities.
Social Security Numbers may continue to be stored as a confidential attribute associated with an individual. The Social Security Number shall be used as allowed by law; and as an optional key to identify individuals for whom an alternative identification number is not known or has not yet been assigned.
Formal and informal documents which contain Social Security Numbers shall be maintained for the minimum period of time necessary or as required by the Oklahoma General Records Disposition Schedule for State Colleges and Universities. Such documents shall be maintained in a secure manner. Upon reaching the end of the required period, the document must be destroyed pursuant to the Oklahoma General Records Disposition Schedule for State Colleges and Universities.
The University SSN Administration and Compliance Committee shall oversee Social Security Number usage as it relates to students, faculty, staff and other individuals associated with the University. Members of the SSN Administration and Compliance Committee include:
- Associate Vice President of Administration, ext. 2040;
- Director of Business Affairs, ext. 2187;
- Assistant Director of Computing and Telecommunications, ext. 5900; and
- General Counsel, ext. 2000.
Contact a member of the SSN Administration and Compliance Committee with questions regarding the use of Social Security Numbers.
The University SSN Administration and Compliance Committee shall have the responsibility to:
Coordinate communications to faculty, staff, and students concerning their rights and responsibilities with regard to the collection, maintenance, and distribution of Social Security Numbers;
- Oversee the implementation and adherence to NSU’s SSN policy;
- Provide support and guidance for offices working with Social Security Numbers;
- Issue opinions and advice on the release or exchange of Social Security Numbers;
- Authorize the use of Social Security Numbers in new systems, as appropriate;
- Maintain a list of entities (contractors, vendors, service providers) to which Social Security Numbers may be released; and
- Maintain a set of standard disclosure statements for use on University forms and documents that collect Social Security Numbers.